Saturday, January 14, 2012

Helms Bakery Brownies..





I know you should never have to justify your reasons for baking a brownie, but we stumbled across this bakeries website a while ago and with Helms being my boyfriends surname, I took it as a sign that it was brownie time. I've always used the same recipe from Nigella Lawson's book, Domestic Goddess, but thought I'd give this Helms Bakery one a go.




1 1/2 Sticks butter (170g)
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (85g - I used 74% cocoa rich chocolate)
1 1/3 cups sugar (I used half white and half brown sugar)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (or berries will do!)


Set oven to 180 C. Prepare baking pan with a little butter and grease proof paper.
Now it's all very straight forward, simply melt butter and chocolate together over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
Cream sugar eggs, sugar and vanilla essence. Sieve in flour, add nuts and (slightly cooled) chocolate mix. Beat to combine and pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. But with brownies, you want to take it out before its completely cooked.  When the top is a little cracked and shiny... take it out and leave to cool. Put in the fridge to make them all gooey and chewy.


Enjoy!




...Okay, so just sampled the goods and it's rather sweet.  If I were you, I'd stick to the Nigella Lawson recipe. I swear by it.  I only ever do 3/4 of the recipe... it's the perfect dose of gooey goodness.


280g butter
280g dark chocolate
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
375g castor sugar
170g flour
1/2 tsp salt
200g berries


Method is same as above.



No comments:

Post a Comment